The 16-hour enchiladas (and how my little dog was attacked by pit bulls)

This morning I set my alarm and woke up at 6:30 AM to put chicken, lime, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme in the crock pot. That way it would be ready this evening for me to make enchiladas for dinner. Or so I thought.

I woke up this morning not feeling the greatest. I’ve been pretty down/overwhelmed by life lately. Because of my off morning, I ended up taking my cockapoo Cash on his daily walk a little later than normal. I have been walking him every day for a couple of weeks now. I really have loved these peaceful walks around the neighborhood. Well, today I didn’t end up taking him until 2 PM. It was good to get our of the house that smelled like delicious garlic chicken anyway. πŸ™‚ Right away on my walk I noticed that there were more people and dogs around than I usually encounter earlier in the day.Β  I felt like changing up the usual route I go and sort of zig-zagging around, so after a few blocks I took 35th street over towards the parkway.

Cash and I were crossing the street when I heard someone yelling names. When I looked over I saw two pit bulls running towards me. A second later they had both immediately attacked Cash, latching onto him and not letting go. I was horrified! I had heard about other recent pit bull attacks, but in other parts of North, not in my area. I have walked Cash around our neighborhood SO many times and had never seen pit bulls not chained up or in a back yard fenced in. I just didn’t ever worry about being attacked. I didn’t want to think that they were all so bad and that it would happen to me. But today was the day. Of course it wasn’t one pit bull either, but TWO.

They kept biting and I kept screaming. It all happened so fast. I still was holding onto his leash, so I pulled and yanked him up into the air, but the pit bulls grabbed back onto him. Their owner came running over to us and kept yelling their names, but they kept biting. I yanked at Cash again, getting him away, and then he again was grabbed by the pit bulls, and I kept screaming, “No” at the top of my lungs. On the third of fourth try I was able to yank Cash away from the dogs and grab onto him and pull him towards me. The whole time he was barking and snarling back at them, so when I grabbed him he was still in defense mode and took a big bite of my ear. I grabbed him and went over to the boulevard and sat down and sobbed. The owner of the pits somehow got them and brought them back into their house. They weren’t on leashes. At this point I learned that they lived in the house across the street on the corner. Their owner told me they had their rabies shots and she had never seen them do anything aggressive before. She said she was bringing them out the front door to go put them on chains in the back yard. Some other neighbors came out and asked if I was okay. The owner went into her house for paper and pen and gave me her information. Another neighbor talked to me. I touched my ear and saw lots of blood. I had no idea how bad it was. I was completely shaken up. I didn’t see any blood on Cash at least. I told them I wanted to go home. I was so shaken up and I just wanted to get away from that house. I found my cell phone laying in the middle of the street and headed back home. I didn’t get very far before another neighbor came out and talked to me. She said she had called the police, so I told her I would call them when I got home.

When I got home I saw that my ear was pretty bloody. I cleaned it up and called animal control. Later in the afternoon an officer came over and had me file a report. While I was sitting there I heard the crockpot beeping that the chicken was done. That meant I was behind on making dinner, but at this point, what could I do? The officer was really helpful, and told me I needed to bring Cash to a vet to have them check for any wounds. I probably should have thought to do that myself.

I talked to Trev and he said he would be home soon. I cooked the tortillas and added rice to the crockpot so I could continue with dinner. Soon Trevor got home. He called the vet and they could get Cash in if we brought him right away. We left right away. When we got to the vet they were super busy. Eventually we got into a room and a vet tech looked him over and found wounds in his arm pits and also in his ears. One of the ear ones was so deep- it was all the way through the skin. I felt so bad for Cash! We took photos to document the wounds for animal control. We had to leave so that they could shave and clean up the wounds. We had an hour, so we decided to eat dinner at a restaurant since we were hungry and exhausted. When we came back we found out that Cash needed staples and stitches, so we walked around PetSmart until they were done. By this time it is after 8:00. We head home and take more pictures and then stop over to talk to the neighbors to tell them about today. I finally get back to my kitchen, roll up the enchiladas and put them in the oven. Done at 10:30PM! They’re going in the freezer for us to eat them later.

Now I’ve got a drugged up dog sitting by me (while my ear throbs) who won’t lay down so he keeps falling over or almost falling over. I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for him to lay down. He tried to lay down a little while ago but he kept whining. I’ve also got to make a call tomorrow to the owner about the $250+ vet bill. Wish me luck with that!

At this point I’d also like to mention that while my afternoon was happening, Trevor was getting an emergency root canal. This was quite the expensive day for us!

And I never even got to eat any enchiladas.



Filed under Uncategorized

4 responses to “The 16-hour enchiladas (and how my little dog was attacked by pit bulls)

  1. Jen

    Oh my 😦 I am so sorry you had such a traumatic day. I am glad you both made it out relatively ok. It could have been so much worse. We have had a few pit-bull attacks here in AZ also. Mostly on baby’s though. And – the enchiladas always get better the day or two after – so they will be extra good when you get to eat them πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Love you!

  2. Mom

    Oh, I wish I could have been there to help you out. I’m so glad that you and Cash are both okay. (Maybe it would be a good idea to bring a can of mace or pepper spray along on your walks.)

  3. Lynn Hopp

    I am really glad that as bad as this was, it wasn’t worse. There was just a report of a 4 year old girl that was killed by a Boxer; she bled to death from the bites. I am glad your dog survived and that those dogs didn’t turn on you! What a terrible experience.

  4. heather.

    oh my! What?!?! No way!!! was what I was thining when I was reading your post. I am so sorry. You hear about things like this happening but you never think it will happen to you. I’m sorry friend. I am praying for you and also that you will feel not so down and overwhelmed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s